Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Cooking with Beer!

Is it the weather? I don't know.

After recovering from being ill for a week I started to supplement my evening meal with a small glass of porter, a conceit from my current obsession with the early 19th century. Apparently, in addition to being a tasty beverage, porter was prescribed as a physic to people recovering from ailments, as it is generally high in vitamins (for a beer) and also has an abundance of calories. Well, after purchasing a delicious artisan brew of 22oz. and drinking only 8oz., what was I supposed to do with the rest?! I let it sit in the fridge for two days before hitting on the idea of adding it to a beef chili I was making.

Brilliant!
It added a certain sweet richness that enhanced the stew and paired well with the ubiquitous cinnamon and cumin I add to all my chili "recipes" (ie. potions)

A few days later, I used the remaining 8ish oz. to marinate a pork roast that needed to be cooked. After browning the pork and placing it in the crock pot on low, I sauteed leeks, fresh garlic and ginger, and added all with the porter and a little tamari to the pot. Eight hours later--hey presto! A scrumptious and uniquely flavored slow roasted pork loin.

Tonight:
A recipe I have not tried but wanted to for ages. Chocolate Calypso Beans. Magic ingredient (besides the chocolate, of course)? BEER! The verdict is not in yet, as the beans are still simmering, but it smells amazing and there was about 4 oz. of beer that couldn't be used in the recipe! Yum!

--OK, the verdict is ridiculously delicious! Sweet and smooth, with a pleasant burn in the ears. How I wish I had tortillas right now!

3 comments:

Tim Olson said...

Did you say beer?

naomi lynn said...

Beer!

Heidi Olson said...

yum - those beans sound really good. I love cooking and baking (and drinking) with beer. I bet that pork roast was really tender and the sweetness of the porter…I'm drooling…